Friday 9 September 2011

Sinking The Swans: Swansea (H)

Two weeks of soul searching have passed for Wenger, and after adding 5 new signings on transfer deadline day - most notably German giant Per Mertesacker and Spanish playmaker Mikel Arteta, there is a sense around the Emirates that the match against Swansea heralds a new dawn.

Mertesacker's addition is the commanding, experienced and physically demanding type of centre-back we've been longing for since Sol Campbell's departure first time round, and the former Bremen man has already endeared himself to the Emirates faithful, declaring a secret love for Gunners hero and double-winning skipper Tony Adams.

"We didn't get many pictures of him on the television but Adams was a legend here," he told Arsenal.com. "He is a special one for me. When I was looking at English football I always looked to Arsenal and he was one of the great defenders when I was ten or 12 years old. I knew he was the centre-half for Arsenal."

More important will be his ability to fit into Wenger's team effectively but the German international believes he will have few problems adapting to his new surroundings. "It is a little bit easier if you have played a World Cup for Germany and I hope I can use my experiences in my career," he told Arsenal Player. "We met England and that is a great experience I have. But I also have to improve myself and that should be my first thought."

Wenger, meanwhile, insists his transfer dealings were not driven by the United defeat. "Some of the transfers were linked with players going out like Santos and Park because I knew Bendtner and Traore would go out," he told a media briefing.

"Some of the other players were linked with the fact we have Wilshere out for a long time like Diaby. I knew as well that Vermaelen would have surgery the week before Manchester United so we needed to buy a centre-back. The midfield was a bit short because we now go into a time where we have the Champions League and the Carling Cup and we need a big squad."

Swansea, quite simply, is a must win. And after 5pm on Saturday, the mood surrounding us should have lifted considerably so long as three points are in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment