Friday 12 August 2011

About Me

My name is Jake Gable, an aspiring sports journalist about to head into my final year of a three year BA Hons Journalism degree at the University of Winchester.

Arsenal blood doesn't particularly run in my family. Unbeknownst to me at the time of supporting them, my great grandfather was a Gooner. But I've been lucky enough to grow up into a childhood of Wenger's glory years. And hoping, like all of you, they return very soon!

How did I come about supporting Arsenal?

Well, from what I remember, it was one of my uncle's football education lessons to both my four year-old cousin and I. My uncle was a former professional and much like myself, is a football obsessive. After listing out every team to us and telling us a little about them, I decided that Arsenal was the club for me. My cousin, unwittingly, plumped for Tottenham, and so a family rivalry began! Even at the age of four, it was the best choice I ever made.

My earliest memory was the 1997/98 season. I feel privileged!
The 1998 FA Cup Final was the first live match I watched all the way through, screaming on my own in the living room as my mum did the washing up. Needless to say, Marc Overmars rapidly became my favorite player.

As the generations went on, my love for the club only blossomed further. I was treated to bragging rights at secondary school as my club went the season unbeaten in 2004. The likes of Henry, Pires, Vieira and Bergkamp were always the players we wanted to be out on the school field at lunch.

Since then, the glory days have disappeared fast. As have the players. Campbell, Ljungberg, Cashley... Now Cesc. But my love for Arsenal has only deepened. Even if my feelings of Monsieur Wenger have somewhat waned over that period.

There is still alot of quality on the field we see before us. Vermaelen, the boy wonder Wilshere, and perhaps the greatest striker in world football right now in Robin Van Persie. I'll be here with you every step of the way!

Here's hoping for a happy 2011/12!

No comments:

Post a Comment